Thursday, May 26, 2011

"Blood Faerie" by India Drummond

Blood Faerie (Caledonia Fae)From Goodreads: "Sentenced to death, Eilidh ran—away from faerie lands, to the streets of Perth, Scotland. Just as she has grown accustomed to exile, local police discover a mutilated body outside the abandoned church where she lives. Recognising the murder as the work of one of her own kind, Eilidh must choose: flee, or learn to tap into the forbidden magic that cost her everything." 

While I thought India's "Ordinary Angels" was quite unique in its plot, I must say that this book is tenfold more unique! Never before have I read of Fae who behave in quite the ways that they do in this book (I am more so accustomed to Fae being almost villainous characters who are very heartless when it comes to the human race and who are extremely Otherworldly-looking tricksters, though in this book the Fae have an almost childlike innocence to them with their largest concerns being maintaining their societies rules/ regulations) and I must say that this book is truly a welcome reprieve from such Fae stories (I can only stomach reading of Fae seducing humans with their food and making them dance until their feet fall off for so long).  Furthermore, I really enjoyed the fact that this story took place in Scotland- while I have read quite a few stories that have taken place in Europe- especially France (ie. "Anna and the French Kiss" and "Die For Me"), I cannot recall reading a story which took place in Scotland.

However, I did find myself missing the character development that I had seen in "Ordinary Angels" in this book- I had a bit of difficulties connecting to Eilidh, Soar, and the gang and because so parts of it do make for a slow story. Furthermore, I really did miss the romance aspects that were so prevalent in "Ordinary Angels"- though with what occurs at the end of this book I think that it is safe to assume that the romance will pick up quite a bit in the next book in this series, ""Azuri Fae" (which is scheduled to be released in 2012).

All in all, this is hands down one of the most unique Fae stories I have ever read before- India has truly created a beautiful world. Though, the lack of romance in this story and character development does somewhat drag the story down. However, I am quite excited to see what India has in store for us next!

Rating: 7.5/10

I received this book from the author to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when you can find a story that gets better with the series? So glad you found such a unique story. Hope you enjoy it more and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this sounds like a very interesting faery read. I like the difference in it too. :) Thank you for sharing this one as this is the first I've heard of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, well this read caught my attention! Little known fact: my actual name is Eilidh. I spell it phonetically on the internet so that people don't think my name is pronounced "eyelid" or something strange. It's a shame that you weren't able to connect with book-Eilidh, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.