Friday, August 12, 2011

"Original Sin" by Lisa Desrochers

Original Sin (Personal Demons)From Goodreads: "Luc Cain was born and raised in Hell, but he isn’t feeling as demonic as usual lately—thanks to Frannie Cavanaugh and the unique power she never realized she had. But you can’t desert Hell without consequences, and suddenly Frannie and Luc find themselves targeted by the same demons who used to be Luc’s allies.

Left with few options, Frannie and Luc accept the protection of Heaven and one of its most powerful angels, Gabe. Unfortunately, Luc isn’t the only one affected by Frannie, and it isn’t long before Gabe realizes that being around her is too…tempting. Rather than risk losing his wings, he leaves Frannie and Luc under the protection of her recently-acquired guardian angel.

Which would be fine, but Gabe is barely out the door before an assortment of demons appears—and they’re not leaving without dragging Luc back to Hell with them. Hell won’t give up and Heaven won’t give in. Frannie’s guardian exercises all the power he has to keep them away, but the demons are willing to hurt anyone close to Frannie in order to get what they want. It will take everything she has and then some to stay out of Hell’s grasp.

And not everyone will get out of it alive."


"Personal Demons", the first book in Lisa Desrochers' series of the same name, completely blew me away. It is a book that I know that I will come back to again and again and one that I will never tire of. However, I must admit that "Original Sin" didn't do as much for me as "Personal Demons" did- that is not to say that it is a bad book, it isn't- it is still better than the vast majority of YA paranormal books.

I think that why this book wasn't quite as successful as the previous is because where "Personal Demons" was entirely unique and truly marched to the beat of its own drum, this book seemed to more so follow the stereotypical YA storyline (ie. a seemingly perfect relationship does a complete 180 when somewhat random plot elements are thrown in for the sake of creating conflict). Furthermore, I felt that the new characters introduced in this book were a bit difficult to connect to (I am talking to you Lili, you sketchy-from-the-get-go-chick and you Matt, you-selfish-boy-who-blames-others-for-your-mistakes) when compared to the original book's characters.

Despite my criticisms I did grow to love the original characters more (well more so Luc and Frannie since Gabe made only a brief appearance at the end of the novel). While I had thought that Frannie had been totally kick-ass in the previous book, it was nothing when compared to this book- her continuously breaking out the Judo? Amazeballs! Ditto for her teaching it to Luc! As for Luc, believe it or not but he was even more so emotional in this book than the last (and as such, even more swoon-worthy).

All in all, while this book did not fully live up to my expectations I still believe it to be an amazing book. This book is a perfect combination of romance and (fast-paced) action/ adventure and I highly recommend it- especially to YA readers who are sick of sparkly vampires and underage werewolves ;). I cannot wait to see what Lisa has in store for us next!

Rating: 9.5/10

Memorable lines from the book:

"I thought that I had these human teenage hormones figured out" (pg. 101). 

"After seven thousand years, I thought that I knew all there was to know... I didn't know this was possible... I never imagined needing anything... anyone... so thoroughly. I... God, you're my everything" (pg. 116). 

"... but I can't have you. You belong with Luc" (pg, 290).

5 comments:

  1. "While I had thought that Frannie had been totally kick-ass in the previous book, it was nothing when compared to this book- her continuously breaking out the Judo? Amazeballs! Ditto for her teaching it to Luc!" <<this seriously made me LOL!! haha

    I love the second memorable quote :) sooo cute! Can't wait to read this book! it's just a matter of time til I get my hands on it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to kick Matt in this book! He made me so mad, but I kind of liked it because it meant I was involved in the story. I liked how much darker this one was than the first one, and I can't wait to see where things are going to go from here:) Nice review Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are making me want the first book more and more. That way I could get to this one quicker. Hm... should I read out of order???? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read either book in this series, but have been wanting to. The core characters sound really interesting and I like the unique take on the demons vs angels trope. Thanks for the review!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt similar about having a tough time connecting to the new characters, but they definitely set this story up for the next one. And I definitely missed Gabe - if he was around think how different things might have been...

    But as Luc has been my favorite I'm glad he was there a LOT in this one.

    I love your closing line on the review :) as yes, I'm totally looking for more in my YA than those sparkly vamps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.