Thursday, June 28, 2012

"My Life in Black and White" by Natasha Friend

Release Date: June 28th, 2012
Publisher: Viking Juvenile (Razorbill)
Pages: 304

From Goodreads: "What if you lost the thing that made you who you are?

Lexi has always been stunning. Her butter-colored hair and perfect features have helped her attract friends, a boyfriend, and the attention of a modeling scout. But everything changes the night Lexi's face goes through a windshield. Now she's not sure what's worse: the scars she'll have to live with forever, or what she saw going on between her best friend and her boyfriend right before the accident. With the help of her trombone-playing, defiantly uncool older sister and a guy at school recovering from his own recent trauma, Lexi learns she's much more than just a pretty face."


This is the sort of book that reminds me that I really must expand my reading horizons, that I shouldn't always go directly to paranormal/ fantasy reads, that every now and again I should veer off and pick up a contemporary read.

 While there was many things that I enjoyed about this book, a unique and gripping storyline, a storyline that plays on the emotions of its readers and the likes of, my most favourite part was Lexi herself. I find that in the vast majority of books I read the main characters never learn, they constantly make the same mistake over and over again, they are stubborn and pigheaded through and through, however I didn't find that the case with Lexi whatsoever- she actually grew throughout the book, becoming a much better person than she had been before her accident. And as result I think that she is a true role model and someone that you can learn a lot from. I can admit with no problem that she is a much better person than myself- I doubt that had I been in her circumstances that I would have been so forgiving.

Furthermore, I thought that Lexi's sister, Ruthie, was one of the best secondary characters I have read of in a very long time. Unlike the vast majority of secondary characters I have read of, who are mere fillers, Ruthie actually made a difference/ impacted the storyline (plus, her personality totally rocked and reminds me of a lot of my close friends).

That being said,  I wasn't entirely satisfied by this book, I was a but disappointed with the ending- I didn't find that it was quite as strong as the first 3/4 of the book. I found that it was a tad rushed and I thought that the epilogue was extremely flat (which I find surprising as I am the sort of person who NEEDS an epilogue). Furthermore, I wish that Theo had played a larger role in the book (seriously, I would take Theo over Ryan any day of the week).

All in all, I think that this is a wonderful coming-of-age/ recovering-from-a-traumatic-event type of story and a story that appeals to all YA readers no matter their genre preference. I am very curious to see what Natasha has in store for us next (and whether she intends for this to be a series).

Rating: 8/10

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

1 comment:

  1. The dark raven along with the sapling department may appear advanced on the custom t-shirt as well as can also be put on past fake panerai. For those who have children, think about creating a sweatshirt along with adorable images. My personal favorite is really a infant red sweatshirt having a pumpkin picture and also the expression "Daddy's Small Pumpkin" -- an excellent present for any brand new father along with a joyful method to liven up infants for the whole drop period. Therefore if you are thinking about selling stitched replica gucci handbags possibly on the internet or even from reside occasions as well as are looking for someplace in order to supply at wholesale prices burberry replica then you definitely ought to get in touch with. The actual Inexpensive Location instantly. It is very easy to setup the at wholesale prices accounts together which frequently requires simply several hours to accomplish. One will discover the right hyperlink towards the top of the actual web page on the site. At low cost dior replica are actually readily available together with wider kinds of e-stores together with apposite in addition to permeable pricings. The actual metallic that you simply observe within replica watches is actually silver, that is a good metal made from 80. 5% metallic, as well as 7. 5% copper mineral.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.