Monday, November 26, 2012

"Scorch" by Gina Damico

Release Date: September 25, 2012
Publisher: Graphia
Pages: 322

From Goodreads: "Sixteen-year-old Lex Bartleby is a teenage grim reaper with the bizarre ability to damn souls. That makes her pretty scary, even to fellow Grims. But after inadvertently transferring her ability to Zara, a murderous outlaw, Lex is a pariah in Croak, the little town she calls home.

To escape the townspeople’s wrath, she and her friends embark on a wild road trip to DeMyse. Though this sparkling desert oasis is full of luxuries and amusements, it feels like a prison to Lex. Her best chance at escape would be to stop Zara once and for all—but how can she do that from DeMyse, where the Grims seem mysteriously oblivious to Zara’s killing spree?"


This book was such a breath of fresh air- in a time when I was just feeling "meh" about everything that I was reading this book made me experience the roller coaster of emotions that I so desperately was looking for- from tearing up one minute when reading of Lex's guilt and her reunion with her sister to feeling bubbly the next with Driggs' and Lex's relationship.

As mentioned, Just when I thought that Driggs' and Lex's relationship couldn't get any more SQUEE-worthy I read this book and I was proven wrong. I love that they're not your perfect couple- they're flawed. To the max. And in being as such they are so totally relateable. An additional aspect of their relationship that I love is their snark- there were two standout scenes that happened in this book that I know will stay with me for a long time, mainly because whenever I think of them I cannot help but burst out in laughter:

"Here's the thing," he said, his face strained. "It's just that I've been treading carefully around you and this whole Cordy thing all day, just like Mort told me to. And I had to make sure you saw here and were okay with it and got home safe- again, just like Mort told me to. And as much as I'd love to continue exploring the existential implications of Damning roadkill, the truth is"- he plunged his hands into his hair until it stuck up even more than usual- "you'be been back here in my presence for two agonizing hours now, and if we don't properly make out soon, I'm going to hurl myself off of the roof" (pg. 36). 

'Driggs whispered out of the side of his mouth to Lex as they walked, "I never got grounded before you came here." 

"You never touched a boob before I came here either." 

"Touche." He flashed a goofy grin as Uncle Mort shoved him into his room and slammed the door. "Worth it!" (pg. 110).

That being said, there were a few aspects of the plot that grated on my nerves a bit, namely the time that the characters spent in DeMyse- I just found the city to be too gaudy, too flashy, too (insert your choice of word of your nature here) and as such, unlike the characters, I didn't find it to be relateable, not realistic in the slightest. Furthermore, I  felt as if the plot was suspended in time during their time spent here- that very little was accomplished and that it was almost thrown into the plot merely to add some excitement. Furthermore, I  felt that the villain was just a shadow of her former self- that as the plot progressed she became less and less villain-y, which was disappointing as I think that she could have really brought excitement to the story, rather than the vain attempt that DeMyse did.

All in all, despite my complaints this was still an extremely enjoyable read- in fact, I only do "funny" when it comes to Gina (because she does it so well, drawing me out of my comfort zone). Furthermore, despite my complaints I will be continuing on with this series to see not only how these characters continue to grow, but also to see how the ending of this novel will be resolved (let's just day that you might want Kleenex on hand when you read it)!

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

3 comments:

  1. Kids by prada replica sale covers 100 % pure silk cotton in addition to innovatively intended human body meets stitched having violet in addition to lilac button snaps apart from the teddy have brand within the entry area. Clutches apparel usually are without a doubt cost expensively when compared to these little one apparel you could commonly uncover within a departmental hublot replica outfits retail store. 1 little one accommodate by clutches cost all around fifty five cash. When you look for invest in louis vuitton replica on the net, chances are you'll apply for connected with some really good reductions. There are various internet websites on the net of which stock options real clutches apparel on pretty much 1 / 2 the expense of what you will really cover these individuals on the brick and mortar retail store. This omega replica watches has it is trademark bunch of little one rest room towels which might be likewise available for purchase most of these little one looking web-sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the current overall economy that is remaining was feeling throughout the world only some workers will be prepared to waste much on luxurious merchandise Rolex Replica. There are many pressing challenges to face, all of which will need dollars the cost of living is perhaps for an all-time great Cartier Replica. Nonetheless, workers will always put together methods of managing in the course of this sort of lean occasions. To many people Cartier Replica, giving up on whatever they have faith in is a lot like sharp their intellect Replica Cartier Watches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The legibility of the dial is, like most J12 white replica pretty high and there is lots of SuperLumiNova lume on the hands and hour markers, and the proportions well balanced. The dial has undergone the process of customizing exclusive to Zagato and is shown with some subtle “Z” patterning intended to mimic Zagato radiator grills that reveals itself only in certain lighting conditions . The patterning is somewhat reminiscent of Carbon Fiber, a material often associated with motorsport, its probably not to everyones taste, some may find it too busy combined with the chronograph complication and Tachometer scale. Mille Millia models often feature a reverse mounted magnifier lens over the date something Im not really a fan of and Im glad to see it omitted this time as I think it would make the dial too fussy combined with everything else. With a red dial this watch is very sporty and one you would rather wear on specific days -when you would expect to get some attention- although its nowhere near as flashy as the J12 Black 38MM replica with its bright red dial treatment.

    The movement or in this case I am tempted to say engine is an automatic chronograph with date and second time zone, the ubiquitous and ever-dependable http://www.dmincwv.com/ , a movement often used in the J12 white model and chosen by Chanel for its reliability and sturdiness. It has a COSC certification guaranteeing its precision. There is no transparent caseback this time so you cant see the movement but its one you’ve probably seen a number of times before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.