Monday, May 6, 2013

ARC Review: "Of Triton" by Anna Banks

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: May 28, 2013
Pages: 256

From Goodreads: "In this sequel to OF POSEIDON, Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess, and now struggles with an identity crisis: As a Half-Breed, she’s a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm below. Syrena law states that all Half- Breeds should be put to death.

As if that’s not bad enough, her mother’s reappearance among the Syrena turns the two kingdoms—Poseidon and Triton—against one another. Which leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen’s request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself—and her Gift—to save a people she’s never known?"


"Of Triton" by Anna Banks was one of my best reads of 2012, in fact, in my review of it I described it as being "flawless" and stated that I couldn't contain my fan-girl SQUEEing. As such, I was obviously beyond excited for this book, however, after finishing it I must admit that it is one of the most disappointing sequels that I have ever read before.

My largest complaint about this book is that I felt that it read like a first draft- I understand that I did read an ARC and therefore there may be changes made between it and the final draft, but I feel that I would only enjoy the book if extensive changes were made. I felt that the book was so flat and one-dimensional, not once while reading it did I experience any real emotion (also, I didn't once swoon for Galen, something essentially unheard of for me). Additionally, I found that a number of characters grated on my nerves in this book, Emma's mom especially. While I did like that she rediscovered her long-lost love I felt that overall she was quite inconsiderate when it came to Emma's feelings- especially when she dropped the bombshell about Emma's parentage onto her, informing her that her life was even more so, if possible, a lie. I felt that she acted more immature than the teenagers actually did. Furthermore, I was not a fan of the way in which the POVs were written in this book- Emma's in first person and Galen's in third (I noticed this much more in this book than I had in the previous book, it felt mush more jarring and obvious). I feel like we don't truly get a sense of who Galen is as a person (Errrr... Syrena) with his POV being written in third person. He comes off as being quite superficial and juvenile.

I actually think that this book could have benefited from being longer- 100 pages or so. I think that if it was longer that the characters and plot would be better developed and more complex. It felt that very little happened in this book, as if it suffered from "second book syndrome", and what did happen (ie. the conflicts) were resolved far too easily.

All in all, in my opinion, "Of Triton" lost a lot of the magic that was in "Of Poseidon". That being said, while I personally was not a fan of this book I do think that die-hard fans will be more than happy with it. Furthermore, despite my complaints I do intend to continue on with this series, if only to see how to wraps up.

Rating: 2/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

1 comment:

  1. What's more, people allow the private coach and also a strong basketball player to judge usual time frame plus quickness to get louis vuitton replica bags specific yardage. They can be basically made use of by the majority of a custom motor coaches and some athletes that happen to be really serious with regard to their bike racing, swimming plus diving, all these stopwatches might help you save a series of messages while in the reminiscence by using around separate with rolex replica watches. A bike racing stopwatches when said in advance of will be uniquely created for a some athletes so that you can participate while in the bike racing plus swimming incidents by way of this enables the theifs to time frame its correct quickness to get covering up a specialized cartier replica. They can be likewise a factor for a training in addition. Its proved by way of many of the research experiments this so that they can have an understanding of one’s highest place it is critical to be aware of really this what amount time frame is definitely expend on your labour. Its hard so that you can tag heuer replica watches appraise may time frame you will be comitting to for your special training without the need of without the intervention of stopwatches. While this is the hand held machine nonetheless at this moment are usually to be found in the form to dress yourself in going hermes replica to the hand. A majority of these stopwatches will be just the thing for a some athletes this opt to training them selves plus conduct confidential exercising.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.