Monday, September 23, 2013

"Crown of Midnight" by Sarah J. Maas

Release Date: August 27th, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 420

From Goodreads: "An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.But her heart never wavers.

After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?"


While I was not a huge fan of the first book in the series (a fan, rather than a FAN), I was still extremely excited to read this book because of both the world and the cast of characters that Sarah crafted, quite unlike any I have encountered in YA before. Within only a few pages of this book, I knew that it was not only much, much better than the first, Sarah truly finding her stride as an author, but one of the best books that I have read this year (which I truly have to thank Sarah for- it has been AGES since I truly loved a book, she was able to crack through where few authors have been able to).

While in the first book I did find myself growing somewhat frustrated by HOW MUCH there was going on in it, in this book, it was the icing on top of the cake for me. I LOVED piecing together all of the various storylines and admittedly gasped aloud a number of times when Sarah entirely twisted the plot on its head.

Another successful component of this book, in my opinion, was the romance. As anyone who knows me knows, I LOVE love- and this book has perchance one of the best love stories that I have read in YA. Ever. While on the one hand I hated how long drawn-out the romance aspect of it was (I legitimately texted one of my fellow reviewer friends with "WHY WON'T THEY KISS ALREADY?"), on the other hand, I do think that that was for the best- that when that aspect of the storyline finally came to fruition, that it made all of the FEELS cometh forth.

The last component of this book that made me fall head over heels for it was the ending- while the ending is technically wrapped up in its entirety, you can't help but feel the need to get your hands on the next book as soon as humanly possible- it has the feel of the cliffhanger ending, without actually being a cliffhanger. (That being said, as a side note, I find myself growing more and more scared about the next book because I can't wonder if Sarah will simultaneously tell two different storylines or only one- in only telling one, one of my most favourite aspects will be lost).

All in all, Sarah J. Maas is an evil, evil person- something which I'm sure that she revels in. As mentioned, this book is one of the best books that I have read this year and one that I know that I will pick up time and time again. I HIGHLY recommend this book to all YA readers- from those seasoned YA fantasy fans to those newly minted.

Rating: 5/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the first book, but I really REALLY enjoyed this one! I loved how the romance worked out, finally, and the twist at the end... OMG. While I sort of saw it coming it was still so amazing when it actually happened. That was my favorite part of the book. And the ending. Oh, that cliffhanger is going to kill me until I get the third book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooooooooved this book, but decidedly DID NOT like the first one. I honestly only read Crown of Midnight because I spent money on buying it. I'm so happy I did, thought.

    I think you can tell from this book that Maas is growing as a writer. It seems like she and her editor really took the criticism of ToG seriously and made an effort to make CoM better.

    Also, yes, she is PURE EVIL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irrespective of whether you are state-of-the-art or simply cool, cool or simply dignified, pro or simply carefree, Lavie provides a choice for any. fake prada It all will let you share an individual's identity together with place your own private traits. fake cartier Looking at a good woman’s requirement faultlessness, Lavie gives you him or her utilizing several sacks you could use. replica burberry The posh together with attractive type offers an wide-ranging line of women’s sacks per affair or simply atmosphere. replica gucci Your products and services bring in any elixir for originality together with authenticity during the variations utilizing contemporary options and stocks punishing any retail outlets at a endless grounds. louis vuitton replica Lavie shopping bags are constructed from superior garments. Lavie’s present container set features satchels, tote handbags, slings, hobos, compartment sacks, clutches together with storage compartments making certain you own an item to enhance your whole wardrobe. Any a wide variety for shopping bags provided by

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.