Monday, November 4, 2013

"Perfect Ruin" by Lauren DeStefano

Release Date: October 1, 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 356

From Goodreads: "On Internment, the floating island in the clouds where 16-year-old Morgan Stockhour lives, getting too close to the edge can lead to madness. Even though Morgan's older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. She tries her best not to mind that her life is orderly and boring, and if she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in best friend Pen and her betrothed, Basil.

Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially when she meets Judas. He is the boy being blamed for the murder — betrothed to the victim — but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find — or who she will lose."


While I only consider myself to be a mild fan of Lauren's "Chemical Garden" series (liked "Wither", hated "Fever", LOVED "Sever"), I was beyond excited for this. Why? Because Lauren's way with prose is like no other (I do, in fact, measure all other prose against hers) and because she is able to create worlds never seen before. That being said, that excitement did admittedly begin to wane the further and further I got into this novel.

I think that this book's biggest pitfalls were it's pacing, it's overall world building, and it's main character. It took me near a week and a half to get through this book (something that is almost unheard of before me, typically able to finish one or two books a day). Why? Because I found the plot to be so drawn out, almost coming to a complete standstill at times. I found that the book only really started to pick up towards the last 3/4 (if not 5/6). Additionally, I thought that the world created in this novel was a tad too similar to her "Chemical Garden" series for myself. I would LOVE to see Lauren branch out from dystopian, truly stretching herself as an author/ putting her talents to work- perhaps a hardcore science fiction or fantasy (or *gasp* a contemporary)? My largest complaint with the main character, Morgan, was that I found that she had little to no personality and, at times, leaned too much on others around her.

That being said, I LOVED the character of Basil. He is, without a doubt, my most favourite of Lauren's characters to date (out of both male and female characters). He was just so gosh darn good and you couldn't help but be swept off your feet by him. Furthermore, I did really like Morgan's brother, Lex, and his wife. While their relationship wasn't perfect, it was extremely relateable.

All in all, despite my complaints, I do believe that I will continue on with this series as I'm sure that, like her "Chemical Garden series, each book in this series will get progressively better and better.

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way. 

7 comments:

  1. The thinpak cases inside are http://www.oceancityseafood.com/old.asp designed similarly when it comes to the front covers. Each cover has the framed replica handbags border that gives it that elegant feel while inside each volume has a different piece of artwork http://www.55kipcenter.org/contact.html that has different groups and pairings, unlike the first set which had Yumi in all of them. The continuity of it all is quite good and it has much the same pleasant and appealing feeling that the box fendi replica itself provided. The back cover for each of the volumes has a basic structure across all of them with a few shots from the show down the left rolex submariner replica while the right has the overall summary of the premise and a listing of the episode numbers and titles along with what features can be found on that disc gucci replica. The covers are fairly light in general when it comes to how much is on the back but it has a simplicity that is very appealing and fits within belts replica the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also come is a variety of materials, shapes and sizes so there is one for everyone. fake cartier A minaudiere is basically a clutch but one that is small enough to be held in one hand. replica chanel They are meant for small items and the absolute essentials like cash, credit cards and maybe a stick of lipstick. fake chanel They are usually made with a hard shell that is covered in fabric or leather and can give off a vintage vibe and are best paired with old fashioned dresses although modern ones are also available. replica hublot A wristlet is a small bag with an attached band that slips around the wrist. replica prada Only small, light items should be carried as you run the risk of injuring your wrist otherwise. It is a very twee object that adds a little touch of cuteness to your outfit. I am a business executive at Fine Accessories Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chơi game hanh dong va game chien thuat để trở thành game thủ. Cùng chơi game vui tại gamethu.vn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.