Sunday, January 23, 2011

Presenting Jace Wayland from the "Mortal Instruments" Series

So I am pretty sure that everyone knows by now how much I love Cassie Clare's "Mortal Instruments" series (a lot- I practically worship the series) and for the last couple of years I have wanted to make some poppets of a few of the characters (Jace and Clary), but I just never got around it. Well this weekend when I found what I thought was a great ball of yarn for hair, I knew that I had to put aside everything and get going (sorry homework! ;) ).

Poppets are button jointed dolls created by ghillie over on Craftster (you can get the pattern for free HERE). I started making poppets about two years ago and they are my most favourite thing to make (even if I don't get to make them all that often with school and reading- HERE is a gallery that contains all of the poppets that I have made in the past).

This poppet was a lot of firsts for me. This was the first male poppet I have ever made (and those abs? Yeah, kinda hard to make), this was the first time that I had ever used eyelashes (which was surprisingly not hard and I plan to give eyelashes to all of my other poppets I have made that don't have any), this was the first time I tried to make a humanoid poppet (usually poppets have cat ears, a tail, and paws), this was the first time I gave a poppet 5 fingers and 5 toes with the fingers having pipe-cleaners in them so that they can be positioned, and this was the first time I tried painting a poppet (I really love how the runes turned out, I am going to have to go over a few of the areas a couple o'more time, but I think for painting them with a BBQ skewer they came out pretty well- and I added some of the new runes like "love")... I initially made Jace's hair long with the intention of cutting it short afterwards, but over the last day it has really grown on me and I love the length- so I think I will keep it as is (and I love how messy his hair can look).  Since I have always made girl poppets before, I have only ever made dresses (which I find kinda easy to do, even with my lack of clothes-making abilities)... So until I can learn how to make boys clothes, he is going to be naked... Hence the "censored" sign...  ;)


I hope to start Clary soon (when I picked up Jace's hair I also got a great reddish/ orangish hair for her). I don't think that she will be all the difficult to make since, like I said, girl poppets are my forte).

So yep, a pretty productive weekend (despite the fact that I didn't do any homework), I would say!
;)

10 comments:

  1. That's so awesome Avery! I can't wait to see more of your amazing creations! I love his abs and ruins by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made that?!?!? Holy heck, you're crafty! Very nice...and I cracked up at the censored sign :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's excellent! You sell them right?? (Not Jace, just poppets in general) @missmarsee missmarsee at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg. I can't believe you made this! You even gave him tattoos and abs! lol. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. A naked Jace. I think you should conveniently never learn how to make boy clothes:) Love it, nice job Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL That looks so adorable! great job! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. So is he anatomically correct????? ;D Oh I have the pattern, but haven't made one yet. I have the pattern version where they gave her boobs. I may have to contact you when I make it for some pointers!

    Great job! I love him!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Melissa (Books and Things), he isn't yet but he will most likely be by tonight! ;)
    And funny thing, I just came on the computer specifically to print the boobie poppet pattern...
    I have only tried the boobie one once and it turned out pretty terribly- so I am going to attempt it for Clary, but more than likely I will just make her a normal poppet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Jace, I love how you censored it as we all know that is Clary's Property although many wish it was otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word, that is so cool! You even gave him abs!! You should let Cassandra see this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.