Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Supernaturally" by Kiersten White

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy)From Goodreads: "Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees. 

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself. 

So much for normal."

Even from reading the first couple pages of this book I knew that I was in for a treat primarily because Kiersten began it off on such a humorous note, humor which in my opinion eclipses that seen in the first book of the series, "Paranormalcy" (Kiersten is most definitely tied alongside Rachel Hawkins, in my opinion, as the most hilarious current YA authors). There were countless times while reading this book I found myself sputtering and guffawing at what came out of the characters mouths (typically Evie's) and how events unfolded (events which typically involved a little blonde maniac- surprisingly, not Evie).

I have always though Evie to be a pretty enigmatic character with her heritage, abilities, and so forth, and therefore I was beyond shocked (and ecstatic) for us to actually learn quite a bit more about her- unlike in other YA books, I found that this book provided us with so many more answers than questions and for that I am seriously appreciative and grateful.

While Lend obviously did play quite a large role in this book, I do wish that he had even played more so of one (seriously, who needs college?)- I really came to miss the carefree and easy-going banter that he and Evie shared nd when they were together I found their relationship to be quite strained which was quite a booger (though when I take it into consideration is actually more realistic than the typical 'perfect relationship' which seems to predominate YA literature).

The characters in the previous book that I wouldn't really stand, or I was on the fence about, totally stole my heart in this book (seriously, never in a million years did I imagine that I would like Reth, or heck, even Vivian). And hey-oh! I must say that I loved the addition of Jack to this story. Typically I dislike it when a new character is introduced to an already well developed plot line, I feel like they are just thrown in for the sake of filling up a few additional pages, however, I did not find myself feeling that at all with Jack.

Unfortunately I felt that the epic action sequence that we had been so looking forward came at the last possible moment (within the last ten or so pages of the book) and as such, that the ending was a fair bit rushed. I felt like the book was heading in one direction and BAM! It went in a totally different one- that there was very little development leading up to said "OMGish!" moment. However, I am quite excited to see in what direction Kiersten takes the next book in the series, "Endlessly".

Rating: 9/10

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

Special thanks to HarperCollins and Shannon!

Memorable lines from this book:

"Jack fell to his knees on the bench, his eyes rolling back in ectasy as he clutched both hands to his heart. "Oh, heavens above, to have seen such beauty with my own eyes! It's more than I ever hoped for. But how can I live now, knowing that you're not mine? Please." He crawled forward to the edge of the bench. "Marry me. Nay, marriage will cost us precious moments together. Let us make sweet, passionate love right here. Let me bear your children." 
A primal growl signaled Miss Lynn getting over her shock as being this addressed. She lunged forward; Jack deftly rolled off of the bench, jumping out of her reach. 
"Goodness, I didn't expect toy to be quite this enthusiastic about my advances. If I don't play hard to get, how will I ever know whether or not you respect me?" (pg. 80). 


"Too bad he was a lunatic; they would have made a cute couple" (pg. 121). 

"Apparently this unicorn hadn't gotten the memo. It was ugly. Like, seriously ugly. Coat a mottled brown and gray, horn a dingy, stubby thing; hair a matted mess. It looked more like a goat than anything else, with a small, filthy beard and square pupils" (pg. 126).

"Something we have in common, then, besides the world's most perfect hair colour" (pg. 129).

"He wrinkled his nose. "Well, that was... interesting. Always wanted to try it, but now that I have, I'm pretty sure I never want to again" (pg. 228).

3 comments:

  1. Great review Avery! Envious that you got a review copy!! I preordered mine awhile back with Borders so I have to wait and see if they send it out or if I have to shop eleswhere! (sob!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for this one, though I know I'm going to be wishing for more Lend time too, I just adore him:) I'm very curious about Reth now though, I didn't figure I would ever really like him, but he seems to have one you over a bit in this one so I can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I've wanted the first book for so long and I need this one. Love humor in YA! Such good quotes! Ah.. need both! NEED! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.