Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Drink Deep" by Chloe Neill

From Goodreads: "Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and recently turned vampire Merit can't tell if this is the darkness before the dawn or the calm before the storm. With the city itself in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times haven't been this precarious for vampires since they came out of the closet. If only they could lay low for a bit, and let the mortals calm down.

That's when the waters of Lake Michigan suddenly turn pitch black-and things really start getting ugly.

Chicago's mayor insists it's nothing to worry about, but Merit knows only the darkest magic could have woven a spell powerful enough to change the very fabric of nature. She'll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who's behind this, and stop them before it's too late for vampires and humans alike."


While I was ecstatic with the outcome of this book (specifically the last ten pages or so- if you have read my reviews of the first four books in this series I think that you know what I am referring to), I must admit that I was a bit disappointed with the book overall.

The first thing about the book that irked me was the paranormal element that was introduced in this book that, in my opinion, came out of the left field. While it is always nice for a book to be unique and all, I just felt that this new paranormal element doesn't mesh all that well with the paranormal elements found in the earlier books and was almost too "out there" (I mean- remember the good ol'days when Merit's biggest concern was ensuring that the vamps/ shifters didn't rip one another's heads off?) and frankly, I found the paranormal element in this book to not have been very well-explained/ was delivered to us in an "information dump" sort of way (with it being explained in a rush, in a few pages at most). 

I was also somewhat disappointed by this book because I found the plot to be too formulaic- when Plan A didn't work for Merit she would then turn to Plan B, when that, too, failed, she would then turn to Plan C- while never getting dismayed by her number of failures/ lack of progress. And I was disappointed with Jonah- he didn't make an impact upon me whatsoever in the earlier books (frankly, I am surprised that I didn't have to pick up my copy of the book to remind myself of his name while writing this review) and as such, I didn't enjoy how much of this book was devoted to him (Then again, I am a diehard Ethan fan, so that might explain my dislike of him). 

That being said, while I was disappointed by the paranormal elements of this story- I was not disappointed by how a character, a character that we have come to know and love over the last four years, became intertwined with that element- I thought that that aspect of this book was totally unexpected and quite thrilling (I must admit that sometimes I get sick of the "good guy" always winning, sometimes its nice to see the good guy loose or turn to the dark side).

All in all, while I was a bit disappointed by this book I am still extremely excited to read the next book in the series, "Biting Cold"- I hope that it will have the same sort of feel as the earlier books (that I LOVE) did.

Rating: 7/10

1 comment:

  1. Audi is developing in China and expects to offer 300,000 models there chanel replica in 2011 up 29 percent from 2010, but nonetheless its market share has chanel replica sale tumbled twenty five percent within the final two several years as rich Chinese prefer sexier and even more indulgent chanel replica handbags manufacturers like BMW and Porsche. J.D. Powers, a worldwide marketing information providers business that concentrates on the automobile market, estimate Mercedes will develop 38 percent this year, even chanel replica though BMW will increase 63 percent. To stave off competition from quite exclusive brands, and chanel replica sale top quality manufacturers like Coach (COH), Louis Vuitton goes to get to commit more on advertising to maintain its exclusivity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.