Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Eve" by Anna Carey

From Goodreads: "The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life."

While this is not the most unique dystopian (post-apocalyptic? I can't decide) book I have ever read, I must say that overall I quite enjoyed it. I think that the main reason why I did enjoy it is because I felt that it had a Peter Pan sort of vibe to it (and I love me some Peter Pan). Now you may be wondering how this book has a "Peter Pan" vibe to it, let me explain: for much of this book Eve (much like "Peter Pan's" Wendy is surrounded by a band of (frankly lost) young boys who live in the wild, Lief, the leader of the band of boys in this novel, has a similar personality to Rufio from "Hook" (a retelling of "Peter Pan") with his cocky, self-assured attitude, like Wendy, Eve is forever kind, caring, and patient towards them, teaching them how to read and write and perhaps most telling- the end of this book (I won't say anymore than that, as to not spoil it for anyone, but let me tell you- this is very much one of those books that will rip your heart out and stomp on it kinda like the ending to "Peter Pan"). 

That being said, there were a few things about this book that irked me- the main being the dystopian element. As I mentioned, this is not the most unique dystopian I have ever read (I can name at least half a dozen YA dystopians that have come out within the last year or so that have the same sort of storyline- and which have frankly more successful storylines). Furthermore, I find the dystopian element to be quite underdeveloped- I didn't find myself feeling anything about the world in which Eve lived in, I couldn't connect to it (I thought that I would have at least gotten goosebumps here or there when Eve was describing her society, but I didn't). I think that this book very much could have used a bit of "dirtying" up- had that been done I believe that the book would have more real and easier to connect with.

All in all, while I did enjoy this book, I would more so recommend this book for younger YA readers or those looking for a dystopian novel that more so focuses on romantical aspects rather than world building.

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the publisher/ Net Galley to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog on the directory! Its great :)

    New follower!
    Bri @ Kindling the Fire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luxurious wrist watches would be the most popular individuals available on the market. Several elements produce a timepiece a deluxe look at. replica watches Distinctive people possess unique suggestions on categorizing a wristwatch as being a luxurious view. breitling replica A few people’s perception associated with magnificent view is fixed in order to a manufacturers. breitling replica uk People who provide the wrist watches might trick the actual purchasers in most instances. Options that come with the luxurious view A great timepiece offers much more qualities than representing the required time for that person. tag heuer replica uk These types of wrist watches help the lifestyle from the person. rolex replica A few of these wrist watches furthermore show time associated with several period areas, in addition to the nearby period.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.