Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink" by Stephanie Kate Strohm

Release Date: May 8, 2013
Publisher: Graphia
Pages: 204

From Goodreads: "Libby Kelting had always felt herself born out of time. No wonder the historical romance-reading, Jane Austen-adaptation-watching, all-around history nerd jumped at the chance to intern at Camden Harbor, Maine’s Oldest Living History Museum. But at Camden Harbor Libby’s just plain out of place, no matter how cute she looks in a corset. Her cat-loving coworker wants her dead, the too-smart-for-his-own-good local reporter keeps pushing her buttons, her gorgeous sailor may be more shipwreck than dreamboat — plus Camden Harbor’s haunted. Over the course of one unforgettable summer, Libby learns that boys, like ghosts, aren’t always what they seem."

Admittedly I was a bit hesitant to read this book, I thought that it would be far too fluffy for my tastes- while I love fluff and romance, sometimes there can be too much of it. However, after finishing it I am kicking myself for having waited too long to do so, overall I really quite liked it, much more than I had anticipated.

It becomes evident that Stephanie did a lot of research for writing this book. While at times it did appear that she wanted you to know that fact, being heavy-handed with the details, in the large majority of the cases I did appreciate it, actually learning a bit about American history as I read it!

Aside from her ability to weave history into a storyline I think that Stephanie's other greatest strength is creating likeable characters- Take Cam, for instance. Despite being an obvious player-ish, bad boy you can't help but like him? Why? Because he is so good at it and he is a great juxtaposition for Garrett. Speaking of Garrett, I think that he will appeal to all readers, with his nerdiness, honesty, and all around goodness. That being said, I think that both boys are overshadowed by Dev, Libby's gay best friend, who is trying to follow in Anne Hathaway's footsteps a la "The Devil Wears Prada". Dev brings both much needed comic relief to and beauty to the book.

All in all, this book hit the spot perfectly at the time that I read it- a cute, lighthearted and fun book which was so much more. I cannot wait to see what its sequel, "Confederates Don't Wear Couture", coming this summer, has in store for us!

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea for a book, and I appreciate that it isn't as fluffy as it may appear on first glance. I'm definitely adding this to my TBR list now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.