Monday, February 4, 2013

"The Way We Fall" by Megan Crewe

Release Date: January 29, 2012
Publisher: Disney
Pages: 309

From Goodreads: "It starts with an itch you just can't shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you'll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in. 

And then you're dead.

When sixteen-year-old Kaelyn lets her best friend leave for school without saying goodbye, she never dreams that she might not see him again. But then a strange virus begins to sweep through her small island community, infecting young and old alike. As the dead pile up, the government quarantines the island: no one can leave, and no one can come back.

Those still healthy must fight for the island’s dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.

Because how will she go on if there isn't?

Poignant and dizzying, The Way We Fall is the heart-wrenching story of one girl's bravery and unbeatable spirit as she challenges not just her fears, but her sense of what makes life worth living."


When I first got my hands on this book I was beyond excited- I had heard nothing but good things about it and, being the genre that it is, I thought that it would be right up my alley (I consume what might be considered an unhealthy amount of dystopians/ post-apocalyptic YA books). However, I'm sad to say that I didn't like this book near as much as my peers did.

My largest complaint about this book is the style that it was written in- a letter/ journal format from Kaelyn to her former best friend, Leo. I found that in being written in this style that it was extremely two-dimensional, in the emotions that it imparts, in its development, both plot and character, and vernacular (after all, this is about a virus which confounds much of the medical world- you'd think that they'd be able to throw a bit more than simplistic medical jargon into it here and there). As such, I found it quite hard to relate to (I think that "Stolen: A Letter to My Captor" by Lucy Christopher and "Life As We Knew It" by Susan Beth Pfeffer are much more successful at using this writing style). That being said, being written in this style I found it to be an extremely quick read, which I appreciate.

The most memorable aspect of this novel to me were the characters- from Kaelyn, a girl trying to readjust to a life that she had thought that she had lost, to her brother, Drew, who, despite marching to the beat of his own drum, does want to be accepted, especially by those closest to him, to Tessa, a girl who relates more to plants than she does to people, to Gav, who doesn't let his somewhat questionable background drag him down, doing everything in his power to better the lives of people around him.

As becomes evident, despite my complaints I was invested enough to finish (and I am invested enough to read the second book in the series). I'm curious to see how the outside world responds to what occurred on the island (or if the virus spreads beyond) and how the characters readjust to their new lives full of loss.

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds good, as do most post-apocalyptic YA books in my opinion, but I just can't take that journal style writing. I've never enjoyed it. Maybe once or twice, but I can't think of an example I actually enjoyed off of the top of my head. Your totally right about the two-dimensional feeling it gives the writing. I think I'll skip this one. Too bad you didn't enjoy it more.

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally 'consume what might be considered an unhealthy amount of dystopian/post-apocalyptic YA books too! Last year, I think over a third of all the books I read were dystopian/post-apocalyptic! So,the synopsis of this has got me completely intrigued too!

    I can imagine that the letter/journal writing format would be annoying, though...Still, I can't wait to pick this up!

    Catherine :)
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.