Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Confederates Don't Wear Couture" by Stephanie Kate Strohm

Release Date: June 4, 2013
Publisher: Graphia
Pages: 240

From Goodreads: "Libby's best friend and fabulous fashion designer, Dev, hatches a plan to jet down South and hawk his period gowns to the wives and girlfriends of Civil War re-enactors. With a pang, Libby abandons her plan to visit her boyfriend, Garrett, in Boston and jumps at the chance to help run "Confederate Couture," and let her inner history nerd loose in a 19th century playground. But Libby and Dev aren't whistling Dixie for long. Between the constant travel from battle ground to dusty battle ground (with no Starbucks in sight, mind you), blistering heat, and a violent ghost set on romantic revenge, they quickly realize Alabama's no sweet home. And the boys. . . well, let's just say Libby's got the North and the South fighting for her attention. Confederates Don't Wear Couture is another hilarious, historical romp from Stephanie Kate Strohm!"

When I first received this book to read and review I was beyond excited as I did quite enjoy its predecessor, "Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink". I found "Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink" to be exactly what I needed at the time, a fun, flirty, and lighthearted read. However,  I must admit that I didn't like this book near as much as I did the previous.

My largest complaint about this book was lack of communication on the characters parts. Because the characters (Libby and Garrett, especially) lacked in communication, they were constantly jumping to conclusions- resulting in unnecessary (and frankly childish) results. Had the characters communicated with one another I don't think that 3/4 of this book would have existed.

That being said, I do appreciate the amount of research that Stephanie put into this book- I learned more about the Civil War (and its various battlefields) than I thought possible from a YA book. Furthermore, I do appreciate the humor in these books- humor stemming namely from Dev and from Cody (an overly cocky 14 year old with his eyes on Libby).

All in all, while this book didn't quite do it for me, I do think that those looking for a fun and quirky read (with a historical slant) will be more than happy with it. Furthermore, despite only being "meh" about it, I don't regret reading it as it did provide me with a few hours of entertainment- and I will read any future books that Stephanie may write in this series.

Rating: 2/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds quirky and fun, but I think the lack of communication issue would bother me too. But I'm off to check out your review of Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink since you liked it more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.