Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Bite Me" by Parker Blue

Bite MeFrom Goodreads: "An edgy book for teens that spans the gap between YA and adult fiction. Life after high school is tough enough without having to go 15 rounds with your inner demon. Val Shapiro is just your ordinary, part-demon, teenaged vampire hunter with a Texas drawl. And a pet hellhound named Fang. Soon enough she finds herself deep in the underbelly of the city, discovering the secrets of the Demon Underground and fighting to save those she loves. Whether they love her back or not."   

I found Val to probably be one of the most mature 18 year old characters I have ever read before. In fact, I think that if someone were to read this book not knowing that she was 18 they would assume that she was in her twenties or early thirties (what does this mean? Well it means that y'all out there who like adult PNR and UF but don't really like YA PNR and UF will really enjoy this book and probably even forget that it is a YA book!). Also, her demon abilities were quite unique in my opinion (as I say time and time again, no sparkly vamps or underage wolves anywhere!).And because of Val's somewhat cruddy upbringing, Lola, and all of the creepy crawlies hellbent on destroying humanity, you cannot help but root for her and hope that everything works out in her favour! And Fang? Well, I could go on about Fang all day long! He is just so gosh darn cute and snarky (I am sure that if he were to read what I just wrote he would respond with I LIKE HER).

One complaint I have of this book is that I felt like it didn't really give us all that much a physical description of the characters (save for Shade, Jen, Alejandro, and Micah- the secondary characters). I only know what Val looks like because of the model on the cover of the book, and in picturing Dan all I can think of it some generic looking guy- kinda a cross between a football player and a cop. 

All in all, I think that this is a great book for UF/PNR lovers of all ages! It is really action packed, unique, and full of kick-ass female heroine goodness! 

Rating: 5/5

I received this book from the publisher/ NetGalley to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard much about this series, but I'm loving the sound of Fang. First of all, his name is Fang which I'm kind of a huge fan of. Second, he's snarky. That's all I really need to know about him:) Nice review Avery, I need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad this was so good. I've had it on my tbr and just can't quite get to it. Now I know I'll be enjoying it! Oh and we can make up what we like in the physical descriptions. Hm... now for Fang... *looks at dreamy pictures of cute guys of every description*... this might work. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.