Monday, April 4, 2011

"The Iron Daughter" by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Daughter (Harlequin Teen)From Goodreads: "Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. 

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart."

This book was exceptionally better than the first book in the series, "The Iron King", and it is obvious that the author, Julie Kagawa, is really coming into her own, she is growing as an author with each book.

I mentioned of my review of "The Iron King" that I found the characters to be quite flat, and while in this book I didn't find that the characters personalities to yet be fully formed, they were much more developed than in "The Iron King". Ash slowly thawed in this book, exposing his inner iciness, whereas Puck was more than just a trickster, and Meghan really started to accept herself, shedding her humanity (in a good way), in order to accept her Fey side.

I expressed my love for Iron Horse in the last book and who would have thunk it? That love increased tenfold in this book. Underneath that burning/ acidic/ iron exterior is a teeny, tiny, squishy, soft "My Little Pony", and once again, Iron Horse and Grim steal the story.

Julie's eye to detail and conveying that detail/ those descriptions out-loud is truly breathtaking- the world that she had creates? Truly impeccable. I don't know if I have ever been so sucked into a created world of Fey before.

Rating: 9/10

3 comments:

  1. Oh good! I'm so glad this second book appealed more to you, I definitely liked it more than the first one as well. I'm a sucker for Ash, and I'm now dying for The Iron Knight since we get his POV. I want in that head! Can't wait for your thoughts on The Iron Queen:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YaY! Iron Horse and Grim. LOVE those two. Okay, Grim is still my favorite. Not that I don't like Ash or Puck... Grim is just so... well... Grim! :) Hope you enjoy the rest in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your review! I really don't like fairy stories either, so I'm glad to hear you don't but like this one. I was dragging my feet on this series. I finally ordered the first book from the library and will probably read it very soon.

    Marlene Detierro (Air Medical Transport)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.