Friday, September 9, 2011

"Fangs For Nothing" by Adrianne Ambrose

Fangs for NothingFrom Goodreads: "Grab some garlic and start sharpening your mother's wooden spoons because there are vampires living in the most unlikely of places.

I’ve always wanted to meet a vampire. Not to stake some poor bloodsucker as he sleeps in his coffin or have some sexy vampires bite me on the neck, but just to see a creature so rare and infamous. What can I say? Some people want to sail to Easter Island, others want to fling themselves out of an airplane, I want to shake hands with a vampire. Well, maybe I should prioritize getting a girlfriend first, but a vampire sighting is pretty high up on the list. Trust me, a lot of kids my age dream about it. Like my two best friends, Rini and Xander. We spent half the summer searching the most notorious cities in the United States for the undead, but so far, no luck.

That’s why it came as a total shock to discover a living, breathing vampire in our hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. (Okay, so he’s more undead and not breathing, but you get the picture.) At first we were kind of excited, but then pretty freaked because it turns out our new fanged friend has a hold on the city's teenage population and a specific thirst for their blood. Which, in a word—bites."


I must admit after having struggled with the last couple of vampire books I have read, I was not entirely looking forward to reading this book. I thought that, like those other vampire books, this book would be entirely cliched, full of characters that were so contradictory all you could do was shake your head at their antics, and the likes of, however it was anything but.

This book was such a pleasure to read- it was legitimately funny, the characters were all so likeable/ relateable (from Grandma with her snappy remarks and concern about Sherbie's lack of girlfriends, to Xander's complete selflessness when he could be a total rich prick, to Lana with her inconceivable self-consciousness) and it kept me entertained the entire time.

The only complaint I have about the book is the ending- this book definitely has a moral ending and I feel that it was too 'in-your-face'. I personally don't feel that a moral at the end of a book is necessary, I enjoy the book just as much, if not more, if it doesn't have one (sometimes I feel that moral endings border on being cheesy... Like back in the day when every episode of the Power Rangers had a moral ending). 

All in all, I think that this book is the most successful vampire book I have read in some time and I cannot wait to see what Adrianne has in store for us next! 

Rating: 8/10

I received this book from the author to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review. 


Memorable lines from the books: 

"A couple of times I thought I heard the shriek of teenage girls, but it might also have been cars with bad breaks or something" (29%).


"It's Twilight... It's like the book. Hot vampire guy manipulates a vulnerable teenage girl. No matter how many times he puts her in danger or almost accidentally kills her or whatever, she still keeps going back to him. That chick in the book would rather off herself than be without him. I mean, I know the guy is suppose d to be hot and all, but if you think about it, that's pretty screwed up" (73%).

2 comments:

  1. This does sound like a funny book! Loved that first quote. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Avery - Thanks for reviewing Fangs for Nothing.
    Adrianne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.