Friday, April 6, 2012

"Anew" by Chelsea Fine

From Goodreads: "Two years ago, Scarlet awoke in the forest alone, afraid, and unable to remember anything. Lost and confused, her life was a mystery...until she met a boy with a familiar voice.

Gabriel Archer has a voice from her past, and Scarlet's determined to remember why. She immerses herself in his life only to discover he has a brother he's kept hidden from her: Tristan Archer.

Upon meeting Tristan, Scarlet's world becomes even more muddled. While she's instinctively drawn to Gabriel, she's impossibly drawn to Tristan--and confused out of her mind. As she tries to piece together her history Scarlet realizes her past...might just be the death of her."


I must admit that when I first started this book I thought that it was going to be a typical reincarnation story, not unlike Lauren Kate's "Fallen" series, but I am ecstatic to say that this was anything but. It was better than the aforementioned series in every conceivable way, from not one, but TWO swoon-worthy male characters (seriously, Tristan may be ever more angsty than Jace Wayland, something I never thought possible), an entirely relateable female character, and a story line and paranormal element like no other (seriously, I can only recall one other story containing this paranormal element before). In fact, this book may very well be the best reincarnation story I have ever read before.

While there were many things about this book that I loved one aspect that still resonates with me, more than a month after having read it, is the language used. As I am sure that has become evident I very much dislike the use of pretentious and pompous language (probably a result of all of the dry, convoluted, and frankly outdated readings I have been forced to read in university over the last couple of years) and this book possessed none of it- in fact, if anything the language and dialogue in this book was the most modern, fluid and real I can ever recall having read before (seriously, I talk EXACTLY like Heather does- my friends and family will attest to it- I am constantly saying things along the lines of, "OMgosh!", "BTdubs", and the likes of).

All in all, it becomes obvious after finishing this book that Chelsea has an amazing writing career ahead of her! This book is well worth the 99 cent price tag over on Amazon- or hell, even shell out the additional $9.00 for the paperback version for this book because I am positive that this is one that you will pick up time and time again.

Rating: 10/10

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book as well. I can't wait for Awry to come out this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tristan is more angsty than Jace? I MUST MEET HIM! I love when a book surprises me with it's greatness, it just brings a smile to my face:) Thanks for heads up it's only $.99 on Amazon as well - that sounds like a deal I can't pass up:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm psyched you liked this one!! I really liked it too, as you know.

    lol @ Tristan being more angsty than Jace... gosh it's kind of true, isn't it?? Yet he is irresistible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.