Monday, June 6, 2011

"The Moon and the Tide" by Derrolyn Anderson

The Moon And The Tide (Marina's Tales)From Goodreads: "The Moon And The Tide is book # 2 in the Marina's Tales series.

Just when things seem to be all figured out, Marina discovers that there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than she ever imagined. When a terrible accident exposes her secret, she discovers that her whole life has been one big lie, and has to cope with more than one kind of betrayal.

A dangerous enemy arrives on the scene, putting her bravery to the test and forcing her to use all of her new-found talents to protect her family. Will good win out over evil? Can love triumph over jealousy?"
 
I always find it a booger in YA books when (typically in the second or so book of a series) the female lead character (who is a newly discovered paranormal being who is starting to come into her abilities) starts to be held back by her boyfriend (who was once entirely supportive of her abilities) because he no longer feels entirely secure in his place in her newly ever changing life (ie. Laurel and David in Aprilynne Pike's "Wings" series, Kaylee and Nash from Rachel Vincent's "Soul Screamers" series, Clary and Jace from Cassie Clare's "Mortal Instruments" series, etc.) and therefore I was a bit disappointed to see that occur in this book. I especially find it frustrating when the male character jumps into the relationship with his girlfriend knowing that his she is in no way conventional (ie. she is a mermaid or she is a fairy) and yet he expects an entirely conventional girlfriend.

While the big reveal of this book didn't take me all that much by surprise, as it was hinted right from the get-go of this book, I was still excited to see how Derrolyn would have played it out- obviously she did a breathtaking job on it! Furthermore, this book was filled with a ton of action (ie. kidnappings, helicopter crashes, surfing wipe-outs, etc.) and while all of the action could have been overwhelming I never once thought while reading it, "OMG another accident? What is this? One Tree Hill?"

And I never would have thought that I would have found myself interested in surfing at all, but it is clear that after reading this book Derrolyn really knows what she is talking about- I think that I may have become as obsessed as Marina was with this past time. Once again, the characters were great- especially Shayla, the new addition to the gang. I can totally understand why she acted the way that she did in the first book, you can't help but feel for her and hope that Marina's vision of her does come true.

All in all, this is an amazing sequel to "Between the Land and the Sea"- I seriously cannot praise this series enough. I cannot wait to see what Derrolyn has in store for us next!

Rating: 5/5

I received this book from the author to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

2 comments:

  1. You used the word "booger" in your review. That is awesome. You are awesome. I haven't heard much about this series, but since you seem to love it so much despite the few things that bothered you, I think it needs to go on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with your statement about the boyfriend/girlfriend relationships in YA books. So frustrating (and I agree with Jenny... Booger... love it! lol). Even so you loved it and so that makes me more curious about the book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.