Thursday, March 15, 2012

ARC Review: "The Marked" (AKA "The Watchers") by Inara Scott

Just in case you were wondering about the name change of this book/ series: Inara's publisher didn't feel like the titles of her books "Delacroix Academy: The Candidates" and "Delacroix Academy: The Watchers" fully conveyed to the reader what the series was about. Therefore they decided to rename "The Candidates" (it is now called "The Talents") and give it a new cover. They also did the same for "The Watchers", this book (it is now called "The Marked"), and it will be released April 3, 2012. 

From Goodreads: "Dancia's back at Delcroix, but this year, everything's different. Danica is Talented, and her powers have earned an invitation to join Delacroix's real raison d'etre- the Program. All Danica ever wanted is to use her powers for good- and now Delacroix is going to give her the training she needs to make it happen.

At least that's what the school says she'll learn do to with her powers. Her cuter-than-cute boyfriend, Cam, insists that it's true, and so do all of the other students. But a little voice inside her wonders, if the Program's so great, why does her friend Jack run away from it rather than join? And why are angry ex-students attacking the school?

Danica's a loyal student... and a loyal girlfriend. But if finding out what's really going on means talking to Jack, well- it's a risk she might just have to take."

As becomes evident in my original review of "The Candidates" by Inara Scott I was very excited to get my hands on this novel, I loved the first book and was so excited to read this book, its sequel. However, after having finished it I must admit that I am a bit disappointed.

The largest problem that I had with this book is that I felt that there was a disconnect between what was going on in the plot of the book and the emotional development surrounding these parts. There was one specific part of the book (chapter 15) where Danica was training in the woods and something that she perceived as being terrible happened but I personally didn't understand why it was such a big deal solely because I don't think that the terror and horror that she was experiencing during it was as developed as it needed to be. The dialogue, of this part especially, felt too robotic and unnatural for my liking.

Furthermore, I was extremely confused by Jack's behaviour in this book (which broke my heart because he MADE the series for me)- I didn't understand why he ran hot one moment (joking around with Danica as if they hadn't been separated by time and their differing circumstances) and cold the next (to well, not joking- doing something far, far serious).

That being said, I did appreciate that the secondary characters of this series- Trevor, Anna, Hennie Esther and Catherine played a larger part (yes, I said CATHERINE- never did I expect to actually like that girl). I thought they helped to liven up the story- whether it be through their humor or seeing their abilities slowly start to develop. I also loved Barrett, the newly introduced male character in this book, I'd have to say that he is my most favourite male character after Jack and Yashir (I like Yashir a lot because he reminds me of Samuel from "The Glee Project").

All in all, while I was a tad disappointed by this installment of the series I WILL continue on with it (with the cliffhanger-ish ending of this book you'd be crazy not to!).

Rating: 7/10

I received this book from the author to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.


2 comments:

  1. Cliffer-ish ending. Combine that with you being disappointed... well, I may read it still, but I'm gonna wait. Hate cliffies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. company because of this movie to realize at this time there on time seriously isn't all of that enjoyable. chanel replica sale at this point would prefer to check out all of their beloved in addition to most current shows at your home. Just one good idea connected with enjoying your best flick is usually by means of getting from the net. Thus, it's easy to get teen All over again flick without cost from the net and watch the item when you find the time period. hublot replica uk is usually defined underneath from the document. What exactly does one complete when you were given time to relive yourself? Scott O'Donnell (Zac Efron) obtains that likelihood. As soon as Scott is usually upset connected with his or her older lifetime in addition to feels he / she can have performed significantly better in the event presented a different likelihood, some sort of janitor funds them his or her hope. Scott obtains as a scholar all over again; even so, he / she at this point should review in reference to his teenager daughter in addition to little princess in addition to looks many complications though accomplishing this. rolex replica sale his or her ordeals, Scott becomes aware of the one thing, his or her lifetime along with the options he had considered sooner were being certainly suitable; it’s except he had definitely not liked his or her lifetime in addition to options. Will probably Scott have the capacity to decide methods to receive his or her lifetime, girl, in addition to little ones returning? Check out this flick to uncover that available! teen All over again is usually a pleasant comedy of which personalities personalities including Zac Efron, Leslie Mann, Thomas Lennon, Michelle Trachtenberg, in addition to Sterling Knight. replica watches, that's fixed for being produced with May teen, the year just gone, has become guided by means of Burr Steers. If you would like have the capacity to get teen All over again flick without cost from the net, people only have to invest $50 through your jean pocket. rolex replica sale one-time subscription impose helps you get many different wonderful shows far too! At this point, just ignore paying thousands to help a lot of money 1 year with shows for the movie. Simply just fork out that one-time subscription impose in addition to get shows forever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.