Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Top Ten Books For People Who Like Dystopians/ Apocalyptic Books


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. They created this feature because as I quote, "... we are particularly quite found of lists".
Everyone is welcome to join. As they write, "All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers on their blog as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers."

So once again I have done it, I have changed up this week's Top Ten Tuesday post- this week's topic is actually Top Ten Books For People Who Like X Author (pick an author and give recommendations) and I decided to change the topic to Top Ten Books For People Who Like (some genre of books) Books. I chose Dystopian/ Apocalyptic books they seem to be almost exclusively what I read nowadays (seriously, I think that over 1/2 of what I have read this year have been them, whereas in the past I used to read almost exclusively contemporary books or paranormal books).

"Shatter Me" by Tahereh Mafi: This book has the best of basically everything- a strong heroine, an entirely swoon-worthy male character, an intriguing villain who you want to know more about and who you can't help but find oddly hot, a love story like no other, a writing style quite unlike anything I have ever read before, oh, and is written by an author who has one of the coolest tumblr accounts that I have ever seen before. This is without a doubt my most favourite dystopian I have ever read before and I am super excited to learn that the second book in the series is just as good, if not better than, the original (as per Fiktshun's I'm Unraveled).

"Article 5" by Kristen Simmons: Like "Shatter Me", this has a really romantic storyline, after finding out that the girl that the boy was once in love with is being held captive by her controlling government he decides to join the government in the hopes of rescuing her. While perhaps not the most unique dystopian book, I think that the characters more than make up for it!

Ally Condie's "Matched" series: This book has one of the most successful love love triangles I have ever encountered before I always bounce back and forth between which boy I would like Cassia to end up with since I believe that both of them have such redeeming qualities and really make her a better person- and this series has perhaps one of the most rigid dystopian governments out of all of the books.

"The Pledge" by Kimberly Derting: Though a HUGE fan of her "Body Finders" series I must admit that I was a bit hesitant to read this book as I had heard such contradictory things about- people either REALLY liked it or REALLY disliked it- thankfully I was amongst those who REALLY liked it (in fact, I think that this book is one of the 5 best books  have read this year).

"Dearly, Departed" by Lia Habel: Unlike the other mentioned books I would consider this to be more so an apocalyptic read than a dystopian. When I first read the synopsis of this book and learned that it was about zombies, a revival of the Victorian era, crazy technology, and the likes of, I thought that it was going to be TOO MUCH- was I ever wrong! Again, this book is included with the top 5 best books I have read this year)- oh, and I am not ashamed to admit that while I was reading this book at school while hanging out with my friends I totally started crying at the end of it.

"Possession"/ "Surrender" by Elana Johnson: This is the epitome of one of those series that gets better and better with each passing book, while I was somewhat hesitant with "Possession", "Surrender" COMPLETELY blew me away- again I think that this is one of the best books that I have read this year. And while I haven't heard anything about a third book (please correct me if I am wrong)- I really, really, REALLY want one- pretty please?

"Monument 14" by Emmy Laybourne: Again, I would more so consider this to be an apocalyptic book, rather than a dystopian. This book has a storyline that I am sure that we have always fantasized about before- living within a mall or store when all hell is braking loose outside. Aside from it having an interesting storyline it also has a wonderful cast of characters! I highly recommend checking this one out, despite having read it a couple of months ago I can't get it out of my head!

"Divergent" by Veronica Roth: If you have yet to have read this book before I don't want to talk to you. Okay, not really! But, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK! It took me forever to read this book (I only read it this past December) and since then I have read it at least once a month- this is, without a doubt, tied with "Shatter Me" was my most favourite book of all time! The following quote describes my feelings for this book perfectly: "Sometimes you read a book so special that you want to carry it around with you for months after you've finished just to stay near it.” -Markus Zusak

"Partials" by Dan Wells: While I was admittedly a bit disappointed by the lack of romance in this book (what can I say? I've become a HUGE romance junkie as of late, if a book doesn't have even an inkling of it I usually struggle through it), the fast paced action and adventure more than made up for it, same with cast of likeable characters- I am so looking forward to the second book in this series, "Fragments"!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you've not picked the really obvious dystopians, which obviously fans would've read, but gone for some of the newer, more different ones!! Glad to see Divergent on the list though, I adored that so so much

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cait! There are a couple on here that I haven't read yet, so I'm excited to pick them up. Thanks for the list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.