Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Impossible" by Komal Lewis

Release Date: October 24, 2012
Publisher: Self-Published
Pages: 254

From Goodreads: "Ashton Summers is on her way to becoming the most popular girl in school and nothing—or no one—is going to stand in her way. Especially not Luca Byron, her freak neighbor, with his tattoos, loud music, and distracting green eyes.

Luca Byron has three goals in life: get through high school with a low profile, make sure his garage band becomes something more than a hobby, and try to forget about his insufferable ex-best friend, Ashton, who he can’t get out of his mind.

The last thing Ashton and Luca want to do is rekindle their friendship, but when Ashton takes a tumble down the social ladder, Luca—with his new makeover—is the only one who can help her rise up again by pretending to be her boyfriend. At first, being together is unbearable and annoying, but things start to change as Ashton and Luca discover the real reasons they drifted apart seven years ago.

Now, keeping their hands off each other seems impossible."


When I first discovered this book in the blogisphere world I knew that I had to get my hands on it- despite contemporary not being my 'go-to' genre (that belongs to YA paranormal)- There was something about this book that just called to me and pulled me out of my comfort zone and am I really glad that it did!

I really liked male main, Luca- think of any bad boy in YA (whether it be Jace, Daemon- whoever) and make him humble/ low-key and you have Luca. Luca never felt the need to flaunt himself or get in caught in the popularity game, he just was. Which unlike a lot of the aforementioned bad boys made him so much more realistic and approachable. Admittedly while reading the book, Ashton, the female lead, did grate on my nerves a fair bit. But after I sat and thought about the book after finishing it I realized that the way that she acts is very much true for someone of her age (I think that what a lot of older YA readers forget, myself included, when we read the genre is that it is targeted to a YA audience- we can't chastise the characters for not acting in the way that we might because, in many cases, we do have a lot more years of experience on them)- when something important is ripped from someone's life (in Ashton's case, popularity) I think that we would only act in a similar way to how she did, doing everything in our power to get it back.

Komal's biggest strength, in my opinion? Writing sexy-times like no other. There are a number of scenes in this book that will take your breath away (the kitchen scene, anyone?)- furthermore, each of these sexy-time scenes is quite tastefully done (there have been a number of YA books as of late where I have been shocked by how explicit some authors have been with scenes of this nature).

Another talent that Komal possesses is setting up the companion novels to this book "Falling For Hadie" and "Wrong Side of Town"- we are given a tidbit of who some of the characters in the latter books are, what their conflicts are and the likes of, in this book, and in doing so Komal really hooks the readers in, ensuring that they will add her to their "must buy" list.

All in all, I do think that this is a strong debut from author Komal Lewis and I do consider myself to be one of those "hooked" readers- I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us next! I highly recommend this book for those looking for a fun and flirty, not to mention quick, read!

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review, Avery! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm already one of those "hooked" readers! The concept of the book is amazing and I cannot wait to read it! Great review :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.