Friday, January 25, 2013

ARC Review: "Breaking Point" by Kristen Simmons

Release Date: February 2, 2013
Publisher: Tor
Pages: 400

From Goodreads: "The second installment in Kristen Simmons's fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.

After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….

Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.

Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low” is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.

With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?" 


While I was somewhat iffy on the first book in this series, "Article 5" (primarily because of Ember), I did find this to be a vast improvement (it's clear that Kristen is growing tremendously as an author)- however, it's not without its faults. Personally I feel that this book suffers from "second book syndrome", to a degree. After finishing it and sitting back to consider it I found myself thinking, "That's it? All that this story centered around was trying to rescue Rebecca?" I just don't think that it was as near epic than it should have been/ there was really only one basic story line (especially when taking into consideration that there were SO many other elements that could have been added- I mean, they are living in an essentially war torn dictatorship where every single one of their actions is monitored, not unlike that of "The Hunger Games" or "Matched").

That being said, the dystopian world that Kristen has concocted is one of the best I have ever read of before (and I consider myself to be somewhat of a post-apocalyptic/ dystopian connoisseur, almost everything that I read in 2012 falling within the two genres). Her world building is second to none and I think that many authors of this genre could learn a lesson or two from her (there is an actual back story, folks!).

Furthermore, I loved that there was actual growth- in both the characters and in relationships. While Ember was somewhat whiny and nerve-grating in "Article 5" in this book she understood what was at stake and she stepped up to the plate, doing what no one else was able to. While Ember and Chase's relationship didn't play a massive role, I savored every moment that it did. Their relationship was one of the most mature and least superficial that I can ever recall reading in a YA before. 

All in all, I think that there was an even balance between things that I enjoyed in this novel and things that I didn't quite so much- regardless, I am quite looking forward to the next, and final, installment of this series, "Glass Arrow"!

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this series yet, but I really want to. I remember wanting to read Article 5 when it came out, but I never got around to it. Sorry to hear this one suffers a little from second book syndrome. But I am interested in reading about this dystopian world. I love post-apocalyptic/dystopian books, but sometimes their world building can be a little weak. I think most go for a more shock-and-awe approach to world building and it sometimes leaves me wanting more. So it's refreshing to hear that that's not the case here. Great review :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.