Thursday, October 13, 2011

"Blood Wounds" by Susan Beth Pfeffer

From Goodreads: "Willa is lucky: She has a loving blended family that gets along. Not all families are so fortunate. But when a bloody crime takes place hundreds of miles away, it has an explosive effect on Willa’s peaceful life. The estranged father she hardly remembers has murdered his new wife and children, and is headed east toward Willa and her mother.

Under police protection, Willa discovers that her mother has harbored secrets that are threatening to boil over. Has everything Willa believed about herself been a lie? As Willa sets out to untangle the mysteries of her past, she keeps her own secret—one that has the potential to tear her family apart."

I cannot recall the last time that I experienced such a range of emotions (and physical reactions) while reading a book than I did while reading this- One minute my heart was practically beating out of my chest as the suspense built up more and more, the next I was tearing up (I challenge you to read the church scene and not tear up), and the next I wanted to shake the characters for their stupidity/ selfishness like there was no tomorrow. So what does all of this mean? The fact that I was able to be so impacted by this book attests to Susan Beth Pfeffer's talents as an author.

And not only is she talented at reeling the reader into her work, making them feel like they are truly a part of it, but she is also exceptionally talented at creating realistic characters- characters that are flawed, like each and everyone of us- characters that we can see a bit of ourselves in (I *thought* that I had read books that had realistic characters in them before, those characters don't have anything on Willa and her family).

After reading this book I am shocked not only at how hauntingly realistic/ beautifully written it was, but at the fact that this is the first book by Susan Beth Pfeffer that I have read before- taking into consideration that she has written over seventy novels and many of them seem to be right up my alley (ie. Her "Last Survivors" series). I highly recommend this book to all YA fans (even you paranormal lovers who are wary of books that don't possess paranormal elements- this book is dark enough to satisfy you) and I know that this will not be the last book of Susan's I read.

Rating: 9/10

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for families-in-crisis/secrets of the past destroying the present stories, so I'm pretty excited that this book brings both of those into play here! Definitely picking this one up. Thanks for the review!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is still surprisingly common, even omega replica sale though there have been a number of changes over the last decade as brands have begun to steadily vertically integrate, cartier replica doing things like setting up their own mono-brand boutiques and selling timepieces online. The problem with the original wholesale model is that rado replica sale it almost utterly ignores both globalization and the fact that once timepieces are in the market, the brands have little control over what happens to them. This, in a nutshell, explains why things like the gray rolex replica market even exists. Go to the major watch trade shows such as SIHH and Baselworld, and it isn't difficult to see that panerai replica sale watch brands are increasingly conservative with new product offerings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.