Friday, May 24, 2013

"Drowning in You" by Rebecca Berto


Release Date: April 5, 2013
Publisher: Self-Pubbed

From Goodreads: "Secretly crushing

Crushed by a tragedy

Charlee May’s been crushing on Dexter Hollingworth since she was fifteen. Five years later, a horrific skiing disaster at Mason’s Ski Lift Resort leaves her millionaire dad critically injured and her mom dead at the hands of Dexter operating the lifts. Charlee is suddenly the sole caretaker for her little brother while their world falls apart.

Dexter couldn’t be more different from Charlee. He’s tattooed, avoids exclusive relationships and his Dad has a fair share of illegal dealings. With Dexter’s reputation, almost everyone believes he planned the Mason’s skiing disaster.

And after all these years he’s still crushing on Charlee May, the girl who’s too good for him.

When this cruel twist of fate ties Charlee’s family and Dexter’s reputation together, Charlee and Dexter wonder if their feelings are reciprocated, while Dexter discovers his dad is trying to steal the May’s millionaire fortune.

But like an addiction, one look, one touch, one taste—they’re hooked no matter the consequences."


With the last couple of months I have consumed more New Adult than what is probably healthy for one person. During that time I have, unfortunately, only encountered a few that have really moved/ impacted me and I am sad to say that that did not move me. While I do appreciate that this book was a tad bit different than what we typically see in New Adult, it wasn't near as much as I had hoped for- especially with the characters (Why do they always have to be tatted bad boys from the wrong side of town? Why can't they be kick-ass, tatted up female from the wrong side of town?). That being said, despite being somewhat of a cookie cutter character I did still quite like Dexter- I found that he was like an onion, we were constantly learning more about him as his layers peeled away and he truly did want to make Charlee happy.

Another complaint that I had was the writing style- I was never fully about to emerge myself into the storyline as every time I was about to something would pull me out of it. Overall I found the writing to be fairly chopping and lacking in any sort of description (the dialogue especially). Furthermore, there were at times instances where I was confused as to whose POV the story was being told in and/ or confused as to what exactly was going on (I did have to reread a number of different parts of the book to make sense of it)- I think that a more thorough editing could do wonders for the book.

All in all, while this book didn't quite work for me, I do think that diehard New Adult lovers will enjoy it- with a bit different storyline that we are used to seeing, a "bad boy" who is so much more, and characters that you can find yourself relating to a fair bit. Furthermore, despite my complaints I will read any future books from Rebecca.

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the tour provider to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

2 comments:

  1. I'd seen this book everywhere around the blogosphere but I wasn't sold on the description. The cover is great but the description came across as a bit odd. I think I was caught up on the fact that Dexter has a millionaire-sounding name vs. Charlee May.

    But I totally agree about the stereotypical male lead. I like a fierce heroine too. I'm reading my first officially labelled NA right now and I'm thinking/hoping the female will be kick-a**.

    I'll be sure to check out what you think about some of this author's other work - if the writing improves. But from what you've said this book is probably not for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are generally naturally your rolex replica sale which enable it to always be wiped as well as notable consequently for you to warn your current vendor. People, on the other hand, are certainly not pretty while evident. You should state best places to search. Occasionally, lots could territory in the hublot replica sale bill a single morning. It can be bothersome along with sometimes it is challenging to see in case the duplicate designer watches sale made can be the one which anyone wanted, as well as whether it is junk. Maybe you have opted in for deals from a favourite shop, nevertheless you will get junk that will appears to be actual cigarettes. Here are several fake rolex sale to see your big difference. Occasionally, lots could territory in the duplicate designer watches sale made bill a single morning. Owners are generally willing for you to barter along, consequently tag heuer replica sale can be routine for you to deal unless you have a price tag you happen to be at ease with. It can be bothersome along with sometimes it is challenging to see in case the rolex replica uk can be the one which anyone wanted, as well as whether it is junk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.