Monday, May 13, 2013

"The Eternity Cure" by Julie Kagawa

Release Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 446

From Goodreads: "Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike."


Though I wasn't a major fan of "The Immortal Rules", I was still quite interested to see how Julie would continue on with Allison's story. Furthermore, I had hopes that this book would be better than the first, as Julie came into her own, growing as an author with each passing book. However, after having finished it, I must admit that I didn't find it to be a stronger book than the first. In fact, I think that it may be a bit weaker of a book, and I would go so far as to say that it suffers from "second book syndrome".

My two main complaints about this book are the overall storyline and the predictability. In all honesty, I feel like very little happened/ was accomplished in this novel- the large majority of it felt like filler. It felt like a recap of the previous book, with Allie travelling from her home to Eden (though in the opposite direction in this), facing down Sarren, Sarren once again going psycho-vamp on everyone, and Sarren eventually making a dramatic exit. Furthermore, I found the large majority of the book, the ending especially, to be extremely predictable. I think that Julie had intended it to take the reader by surprise, but I think that it did anything but.

That being said, I did appreciate that questions weren't answered with more questions in this book- we actually got concrete answers (well, assuming that you can trust the word of a psycho vampire). Furthermore, I loved Jackal in this book, I thought that he provided a lot of much needed comic relief- his dry wit is second to none.

All in all, while I personally was not a massive fan of this, I do believe that those who loved the first book will be more than pleased with this latest installment. Furthermore, despite my complaints I do think that I will continue on with it, if only to see how it is wrapped up.

Rating: 3/5

I received this book from the publisher to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled upon your blog via my twitter feed, Love ur design and little characters, great review
    New GFC follower
    Danielle @ Coffee and Characters
    http://www.daniellecromero.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.