Thursday, May 2, 2013

"Faster We Burn" by Chelsea Cameron

Release Date: April 20, 2013
Publisher: Self-Published 

From Goodreads: "Katie Hallman is done with douchebags. Done with guys who treat her like crap and leave her broken. But then Stryker Grant is there anyway. With his numerous piercings and bleached hair, he’s the polar opposite of all of her past relationships, which makes him the perfect candidate.
At first, Katie just sees him as a physical escape from her previous rocky relationship, and Stryker doesn’t seem to mind just being a distraction from Katie’s problems. But soon he’s getting under her skin, peeling back layers she’d rather keep covered. She tries to make it clear that she doesn’t want a relationship, but keeps breaking her own rules.

Then a tragedy sends Katie into the only arms who are there to catch her, and she’ll realize that she needs him more than she ever thought possible. But is she ready to let herself trust another guy with her already-battered heart? Or will she push him away to protect herself from getting hurt again?"

While I think that New Adult is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I must admit that every now and again I find that it becomes... stale (stale in the sense that oftentimes the plots of the books/ the characters are near identical- broken girl who has a bad history with a male, playerish bad boy, love/ hate relationship, falling into one another's beds, girl's past coming to light, girl running away, boy chasing girl, happily ever after, and companion novel for secondary character). However, when I find myself becoming frustrated with the genre, I read one of Chelsea's books and it completely restores my faith in it- Chelsea and her characters truly march to the beat of their own drums.

Stryker and Katie are perhaps one of my most favourite NA characters ever. Why? Because they compliment one another so perfectly. Both aren't afraid to tell it like it is, each one is able to life the other out of the darkness that consumes them, both realize the importance of friends and family, and so forth. Aside from the characters, another strength of this book are the emotions- specifically the emotions resulting from a situation involving Katie. The depth and realism of these emotions are second to none- I literally had a stomachache/ heart palpitations while reading the scene as I can relate to it so well (this is only the third time ever that I have experienced a physical reaction to the emotions stemming from a book).

Additionally, like the previous book, I LOVED each and every one of the secondary characters in this installment  I love the fact that they are truly each their own person/ extremely developed- you have no cookie-cutter or "blah" secondary characters here! I have no doubt that each of them could carry their own books.

All in all, while I had thought that I loved the first book in this series, "Deeper We Fall", my feelings for that book are NOTHING compared to this- there is not denying that Chelsea is growing tremendously as an author with each book that she pens. I think that Chelsea has an amazing career ahead of her (especially in the realm of New Adult) and I, specifically, CANNOT wait to see what she has in store for these characters next!

Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. Peru’s renowned article writer, Mario Vargas Llosa, designed news if your dog a short while ago acquired a Commendable hublot replica uk to get Reading. Her novels and various Peruvian courses will be great deciphers each time, nonetheless primarily so that you can go to Peru. For families who would fairly look at your dvd as compared with learn your e book, there are plenty of solutions, either with modifications with Llosa’s will work, and some. Without the need of all are altogether tag heuer replica genuine, people conduct give superb fun but will take you energized for your personal enjoyable a vacation to South usa. Pantaleón gym las vistadoras (Capitan Pantoja as well as Distinctive Expert services): The following adapting to it with Mario Vargas rolex replica sale e book is a largest grossing flick possibly during Peru’s common box locations. The following compelling flick concerns Chief Pantaleón’s top secret mandate to end assaults around Peru’s jungles. Paloma de Papel (Newspaper Dove): The following flick analyzes a disasters of your Pointing Avenue guerilla terrorism. A fresh man, Juan, is definitely kidnapped plus made to attend a obsessed Maoist set. A setting up of your rado replica highlands is going to create you actually for your holiday getaway while in the attractive district, rolex replica watches a gloomy issue. As you move narrative includes quite a few far too impressive events, its truly worth a wristwatch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.