Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"The Lipstick Laws" by Amy Holder

The Lipstick LawsFrom Goodreads: "At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?" 

Simply put I think that this is a fun and lighthearted read- nothing more, nothing less. I think that why I can't gush about this book as much as others have (seriously, a few months back when this book first was released on NetGalley there was a gazillion and one positive reviews about it) because I just can't relate to the young characters and their high school experience (I don't know about y'all, but my high school experience was nothing like the one in this book and that isn't because I was a popular girl or anything along those lines- I was totally one of those nerdy girls who would either hang out with her equally nerdy friends at lunch or read in the library- but there really wasn't a popular clique at my school who 'ruled the school', everyone genuinely seemed to get along quite well, the emo kids would hang out with the jocks, the nerds with the 'pretty' girls and so forth).

Furthermore, I haven't read a book with a moral at the end of it in quite some time this book definitely had one. It would have been one thing had it been more so of a moral undertone, one that the reader could interpret from the book after thinking about the book and processing it hours, if not days afterwards (because that would mean that the book was memorable in a way that would make you think about it after reading it and I just don't feel that it is), but it was anything but- I felt that it was really obvious and kinda hit you in the face (ie. "HEY GUYS! LOOK! I AM THE MORAL OF THE STORY!").

All in all, I think that this book would appeal more so to those occupying the younger side of the YA spectrum (13-16 year olds), rather than those older YA readers (18+) and that fans of the movie "Mean Girls" will love this book!

Rating: 7/10 

I received this book from the publisher/ NetGalley to read and honestly review. I was not compensated in any way for said review. 

3 comments:

  1. ummm... yeah, this book sounds a bit too cliche for me so I think I'll be skipping it. With so much on my TBR I was to be sure to only pick books I can gush over. Of course, you never know how a book will turn out, but reviews like this are very helpful. Thanks Avery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this one is for me. My high school was the same way as yours, there were popular kids and less popular kids, but there was no "rule the school" crowd:) And I'm not a big fan of obvious moral messages, I feel like I can almost hear the "Full House" type music swell in the background when that happens to let me know the big message is about to be revealed. Thanks for your honesty Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came from the "wrong" side of town, so if there was a popular clique that ruled the school, I didn't know it! lol

    Na, don't think this one is for me, but I did enjoy your view on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.