Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Shift" by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shift (Shade, Book 2)From Goodreads: "Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to. 

Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.

As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart." 

While I found some of the characters to be much more tolerable in this book than in the previous book and I found it to be quite a bit more humorous than "Shade", it unfortunately didn't do as much for me as "Shade" did. I found that it was a bit difficult to keep track of everything that was going on in this book- I got halfway through it, set it aside for less than 24 hours, and when I came back to it I honestly couldn't remember what had happened in the first half (and by this I mean, I couldn't remember what the status of Aura and Logan's relationship was and what the status of Zachary and Aura's relationship was because they were constantly changing- even within a couple of pages or so- one minute Aura and Zachary (or Logan) were getting all hot and heavy together, the next minute they were screaming at one another or refusing to speak to one another).

Furthermore, I was really turned off by Aura in this book (much like I was with Faythe Saunders in Rachel Vincent's "Shifters" series). I hated how she flipped flopped between the male characters so much- and while I thought that a love triangle was bad enough, the love square in this book was even worse (yes, a love square- and with the most unexpected character in my opinion). What I also hated was how Aura (again, much like Faythe Saunders) attempted dealt with the grief that she experienced in this book, with another character (as silly as this sounds, I almost felt like Aura was a bit sex-crazed in this book, just with the fact that at times it didn't really matter who she was doing it with, as long as she was doing it).

As for the boys? I found myself unable to stomach Zachary for the large part of the middle of the book (because of certain actions), but when his super sweet side that we had become accustomed to in "Shade" came out once again (towards the end of this book), I was obviously once again swept off my feet (but not sweet enough to make me forgive/ forget about his past transgressions). I totally loved Logan in this book, while I was more so on the fence with him in the previous book- It really is a shame that he finally became the person that he was meant to be because of his death.

While I had about more than a couple of complaints about the characters of this book I must say that the new developments of this book were extremely interesting/ intriguing/ totally unexpected in my opinion and I cannot wait to see were they lead to in the next book of the series, "Shine"!

Memorable lines of the book:
The ghost of the naked man raised his arms...
"What's wrong?" Logan asked his brother. "Is there another ghost here?" 
"Yeah, and he is hung like a hippo." 
"What? Aura, don't look."(pg. 67)

[Logan talking to Aura prior to her date with Zachary] "Don't get laid." (pg.31)

[Logan talking about Zachary] "But a jerk like me can never compete with someone so f*cking pure of heart." (pg. 144)

"What the hell is a vole?" (pg. 256). 

Rating: 8/10

3 comments:

  1. I really disliked Zachary in this book. I don't like either of the guys so the love triangle really doesn't work for me. When I first heard about this series, I thought I'd love it, but I don't. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, ha! I wondered if you'd have a problem with Zach in this book! He wasn't my favorite after book one and then with what happened in Shift I knew I was still a Logan fan.

    I didn't find it confusing, but definitely thought Aura was a bit of a tramp in this one. Shade is still my favorite of the two - because of that ending AND because of the interesting reveals that they had, which they had less of in this sequel. But I'm sure, with Shine being the last book we'll get answers to everything. JSR wouldn't be THAT cruel.

    Oh and I have a totally different take on the river scene than everyone else I "talked" to about this. Wondered what you thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I don't think I'd like Aura, but I still want to read these books. Plus, you had me wanting to read it with that hippo comment! XD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.