Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"Clockwork Prince" by Cassandra Clare

From Goodreads: "In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends. 

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart."

I must admit that while Cassie Clare's "Mortal Instruments" series has been my most favourite book series for a number of years "Clockwork Angel" didn't do much for me- Not only did I much preferred the grittier setting of New York in TMI series rather than the drizzly and rainy setting of ID, but I also preferred TMI character's (I mean seriously, how can you compete with Jace? Oh right, you can't). Therefore when I started this book, I must admit, I thought that like "Clockwork Angel" I would find it to only be mediocre. Was I ever wrong. This book took my breath away and left me speechless. Even hours after finishing it all I could proclaim was "OMFG"! Believe it or not, I think I actually prefer this book over half of TMI books.

I think that this book was more successful than its predecessor was because of the characters-  in the previous book I had a bit of trouble connecting with them, but in this book I didn't whatsoever. I feel that they were all much more complex and dynamic in this book (especially Will, gosh, I thought that Jace was a bucket full of angsty emotions and that no one could top him, but again, I was wrong). Furthermore, this book actually answered some of those burning questions that we have had (as opposed to answering questions with more questions)- like, who is Cecily? What is Tessa? What is Will's deal?

While I am still totally torn between Will and Jem (this series contains, by far, the epitome of a successful love triangle), I must admit that I actually preferred the DSBS- the Dirty Sexy Bedroom Scene (NOT the Dirty Sexy Balcony Scene, though that scene wasn't terrible by any means ;) ). I think why I preferred this scene over the other was because it was so unexpected- seriously, I didn't know that that male character had it in him!

All in all, this is by far one of the best sequels I can ever recall reading- while this book was admittedly less action-packed than its predecessor not once did I find myself growing bored with it (all of the twists and turns in this book more than made up for the lack of action)- I was engaged (and on the edge of my seat) the entire time while reading it. Not only can I not wait for "Clockwork Princess", but I cannot wait to reread this book! 

Rating: 10/10

Memorable lines form the book:

"She couldn't have been named something awful, could she, like Mildred. He couldn't imagine lying awake at night, staring up at the ceiling while invisible voices whispered "Mildred" in his ears- but Tessa-" (pg. 42).

"Perhaps she's a girl who's fallen madly in love with me and persists in following me wherever I go." 
"My talent is shape-shifting, Will, not acting" (pg. 87). 

"Jem is what I have allowed myself" (pg. 145). 

"If I were another man, a normal man, I might have hopes; presumptions even; I might-" (pg. 201).

"I think I may be in love with you, Sophie... Marriage could be in the cards" (pg. 255). 


"I saw someone familiar chasing a blue demon across the parkland with an air of determination" (pg. 338).

"By the Angel," he said, "Perhaps we do need a chaperon" (pg. 344).

4 comments:

  1. Um. There's a Dirty Sexy Bedroom Scene and a Dirty Sexy Balcony Scene? *runs to bookstore* Can't wait to read this, I'm so glad you think the characters are more dynamic in this one, I enjoyed Clockwork Angel, but I always like when things get more intense and the characters more interesting as we go. Awesome review Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY agree with you! I loved TMI more than this series UNTIL I read Clockwork Prince. I don't know if I could even compare the series anymore! I'm totally in love with Will and I was heartbroken with the end.

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree, I absolutely love Infernal Devices. I thought the first three Mortal Instruments books were PERFECT, as close to perfect as a book trilogy could get, but they've been slightly tainted with the disappointing City of Fallen Angels for me, and in the meantime Clockwork Prince has absolutely wowed me!

    Definitely was NOT expecting to love Dirty Sexy Bedroom Scene as much as I did... I think I love both DSBSs equally, just like I love the boys equally I think. This is a great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished CP last night so I thought I would come back here and squee now. We must discuss this book at length next time we meet up, because I am pretty much dying of emotion. *whimpers* *squees* *etc*

    Also, all those quotes are awesome and I love how if you didn't know their context you would be like "eeppp, who said that??" or wondering what they meant. So good, haha.

    Gahhhh I can't believe it just came out and we have to wait so long for the 3rd book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.