Friday, December 31, 2010

"My Soul to Save" by Rachel Vincent

From Goodreads: "When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk…."

As I made note of in my review of "My Soul to Take"m I am a Tod kinda gal, I prefer him tenfold over Nash. I just can't get over Nash's past, his personality, and whatnot, and as such, I am not a fan. However, in this book my opinion of Tod changed a bit- for the worse. I don't know if he completely comprehended how dangerous the task was that he assigned to Kaylee and Nash and they could have easily been killed or seriously injured in trying to carry it out, yet he still asked them to do it and he even played to Kaylee's hero complex. He knew that if he asked there was no way in heck that she could not help. What if something were to have happened to Nash or Kaylee? Harmony, Nash's mom, not only loses her husband and one son, but then her last remaining son and is left entirely alone in the world? Or Kaylee's dad, who had lost his wife, also loses his daughter who he and his wife have sacrificed so much for? I don't think so! All he was thinking about was his dear Addy...

As for Addy? Well, she kinda drove me nuts. I hated how she was so against using the out-clause. I know that her life would be pretty crappy had she used it, but wasn't it better than, I don't know? NOT HAVING A SOUL! But I am not going to lie, I did sympathize with her quite a bit in this book, more so towards the end of the novel where she sacrificed herself for her little sister. As for Tod? Well, it was just really nice to see a different side of him. I had become so accustomed to him being all morbid and snarky, and seeing him all googly eyed? It was cute.

I also hated the way in which Nash tried to hold Kaylee back from living up to her full potential. He was so against Kaylee and him helping Tod (and I know, this means that he fully comprehended the dangers whereas Tod did not- and that I am being completely contradictory as per usual), but still, he knows how Kaylee is and how she cannot say no when it comes to helping people, he should have just accepted it and kept his moaning and groaning to himself. As for Kaylee? Well she was her usual kick-ass self, but sometimes I cannot help myself from thinking that she really should put more faith into her dad, Harmony and her uncle and trust them with the problems that they are experiencing. I mean, the three adults combined have been around for probably 400 years, if not longer, so I do think that with age comes wisdom, especially over Tod, Nash, and Kaylee's combined 50ish years.

Rating: 7.5/10

4 comments:

  1. I'm still so curious about this series. I've read both bad and good reviews on it (including on my blog, lol). I still want to see what all the fuss is about. Especially with this review. Hmm... the characters might annoy me, but if you weren't too put off by them... hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melissa, I am not going to lie, I did have somewhat of a hard time getting through the first two books in the series, I kept putting them off... But the later 2 books of the series? Worth all of the grumbling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fashionable everyday color assortment is filled with daily life sense and strength. replica watches uk 2011 summer months bags of Hiroshima also tends to make usage of garden topic. That is definitely to convey, it is actually in beige base with decoration of cherry painting. fake watches uk No surprise it could be the attractive apple inside the eyes of 20 thousand trendy ladies study. fake prada Just enter the world of Hiroshima summer months purses, so you may possibly look for a pleasant legend of girl purses. This pleated colour block gown by Jessica Simpson is quite chic and so attractive showcasing black broad connectors and longer hem within the back. hublot replica Also offered in frequent dimensions. Extra Brown Fashion AccessoriesFashion Stylish Jewelry Solid Headband with stone fleur de lis pendant -- Trend Headband Headband Wraps -- replica hermes This modern stylish headband, wrap or headband will be the ideal finishing contact to pretty much any outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.