Monday, November 29, 2010

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

From Goodreads: "Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal."

Right off the bat, if you find the slightest bit of superficiality in YA books as a turn off, or just not your cup of tea, then stay away from this book. I mean, sparkly pink taser named Tasey? Lots of "You are so hot!" banter, a character who is very much obsessed with how she looks "I felt so uncomfortable without my make-up on!", "Do these pink high-heeled boots match my zebra print wrap dress?", "Shopping always makes me feel better", maybe not in those exact words, but you get the point... These aren't the sort of things that personally interest me, but if they do, heck, will you love this book, if they don't- well, I still think that you will like the book (just maybe not to the extent that sparkly pink taser toters will ;) )

That being said,  I couldn't not finish the book (due to the superficiality aspect of it), because if I didn't finish it, I would never learn more about Lend. Oh Lend, probably the bestest good boy I have ever read about and actually loved (seriously, I am usually all over the bad boys- Jace? Marc? Yes please!). He wasn't the wishy washy good boy we sometimes see that it a complete push-over or too nice for his own good. He was a strong character, helping Evie out whenever he could, extremely talented, and a pretty funny guy. Plus, his ability was pretty awesome, the ability to turn into whoever you want? Yep, that is pretty neat-o...

And what about Evie, the main female character of the book? Well I had hoped that she would be super kick-ass, independent and whatnot, but clearly as mentioned, she was pretty superficial (I will give her credit though, when Lend took on the body of a less than attractive teenage boy, she didn't even bat an eyelash, she didn't care about the looks, just the personality), but more than that, she was just a puddle. I lost track of the number of times she felt like crying or actually did cry. And yes, I understand that your life as you know it, is falling apart- but you have to get it together girl! There is so many people relying upon you and by not being strong, how can you ever help them? Seriously, if I were to find out that I possessed a supernatural ability, I would be ecstatic ;)... Simply finding out that you have a power does not make you a monster, it is how you use those powers that determines whether or not you are a monster (ie. I run around and kill everyone I encounter, using my powers, for sheer fun versus, I run around helping people, using my powers).

And the bad "guy" Vivian? I felt so gosh darn bad for her throughout the novel. She never chose to have the abilities she possessed and as she was raised by fairies for her entire life, she had clearly not experienced much in the way of love and having been raised by fairies she would have experienced so much of the evils of the Seelie/ Unseelie courts, and therefore it only stands to reason that she, also, would resort to being evil... She just wasn't dealt a good hand in life. And you know what? I don't think she even understood the whole extent of her powers... I think that the fairies showed her only how to use one (the evil) aspect of her powers, without explaining to her the good that she could do. 

I must say that I do love the world that Kiersten has created. A sort of CIA dedicated to helping rid of the world of creepy crawlies and whatnot? Awesome! The fairy folklore/ prophecies? So intriguing! I cannot wait to see where the next book in the series, "Supernaturally", runs with the fairy idea.

Rating: 9/10

And for those of you who may have already read the book, what is your take on the whole Evie still has fire/light floating around in her heart and through her veins? I think that it is love! I think that it would just make a lot of sense.And I found this music video and I thought that it perfectly showed how I imagine the light/fire would look in both Lend and Evie (well not the part with Nicole running around in the see-through dress):



PS. Don't forget to check out MY FANTABULOUS FIRST GIVEAWAY!  

8 comments:

  1. Great review! I read this one awhile back, so I can't remember everything. I did like it though!

    Love the new look of your blog! Very nice! Trying to find a new look for my own, but not very tech savvy so it's slow-going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica! I am really technically challenged, but I find the template designer here on Blogger to be pretty user friendly to use (thank gosh, or I have no idea what I would do)... If you ever need any help, I would be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for adding the BIR2010 button to your site. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't like Evie as much. I liked her. I think in a lot of ways she was also like Vivian. Both were pretty much isolated from the world and raised by people who didn't explain to them what they are or really show them much love. Both were mostly looked at as useful tools.

    I think a lot of Evie's superficial stuff came from her only exposure to "normal" teenage life coming from a teen television drama and magazines. Also her desire to kind of balance out the heaviness of her job that monopolized most of her life.

    I agree 100% with you on Vivian. She was a sad "bad guy." I don't think she knew the full extent of her powers either.

    I loved the world too and I can't wait to see what happens next with the prophesies. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Small Review, your comment? So eye-opening! I never would have understood Evie had you not written what you did (so thanks a bunch). It does very much explain why she is the way that she is.

    Killing and tagging things all day long? Yeah, she doesn't want to come home and deal with all of the nasties, she wants to come home and forget her horrific day. The best way to do this? Lose yourself in some mindless TV show or shop until you drop...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just won this book in a giveaway and I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome review!! I have Paranormalcy on my TBR... been reading such amazing things about it =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to help :) I didn't even really consciously think about all that until you mentioned what you did about Vivian and Evie's superficiality. I got to thinking about what you said and realized that they're both a lot alike, and pretty sad. So thank you right back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it!

Though I appreciate awards I have decided to make my blog an "award-free zone". Unfortunately I do not have the time to hold up my end of award-giving. But again, I appreciate you thinking of me!




Copyright © 2010 - Avery's Book Nook - is proudly powered by Blogger.

Blog background and header is property of Avery's Book Nook- any violators will be eaten by a hobgoblin.